Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cheatham Street Warehouse

Missoula Slim, host of the open mic on Sunday, recommended I hit a place called Cheatham Street Warehouse for their Wednesday night songwriter circle. I'm a bit ashamed to say I've never heard of the place. I started the day with some disc golf and High Life at Zilker Park downtown Austin.



Even as I drove by the front of the building I really considered just continuing down the street and heading home. It couldn't be that place. It is literally an old warehouse not six feet from busy freight train lines.

This was my introduction to a true Texas honkey tonk, felt instantly like home. Nice and dark, cheap beer and all kinds of paraphernalia on the wall from the famous musicians who had played there in the past. My hero Stevie Ray Vaughan, then just Stevie Vaughan, got a weekly gig there in 1980. There's even an old beat up van outside that the owner, Kent Finlay, used to drive an unknown country songwriter named George Strait from Texas to Nashville just before his career exploded.

Generally lots of songwriters get turned away because there aren't enough slots available during the night. I was lucky this night and got a slot even though I didn't arrive until about thirty minutes before it began. Somehow I got passed over, everything was pretty loose there. I hadn't driven a thousand miles to be passed over, I came to play. Kent was nice enough to let me go up right away. I played one of my new songs, Stripping It Down, and one from earlier this year, Lost Or Found. I heard through the grapevine that Kent liked my songs, quite an endorsement.

It was just great to hear all the other songwriters, amazingly talented songwriters, in a room where people get shushed for talking and if your cell phone goes off you get scowled at. Total respect for the songwriter and the song. It was a beautiful night. Three hours of original material played in the naked format of just a solo performer, no big bands or accompaniment beyond an acoustic guitar. Nothing to hide behind.

This did nothing to help me feel better about my chances of making it down here, so many amazing songwriters and performers. I feel at least on par with the general degree of talent. Maybe my business sense or tenacity will give me a leg-up on the competition.  I'm that rare musician that shows up on time, generally sober. Time will tell. Whether I make it down here or go back home, this experience has already inspired me and given me a more healthy respect for the craft and calling of songwriting.

No comments:

Post a Comment